|| The National Natural Science
Foundation of China (NSFC) is an organization directly affiliated
to the State Council for the management of the National Natural Science
1. In accordance with
the guiding principles, policies and plans for the development of
science and technology in China and by adopting the operating mechanisms
for the National Natural Science Fund which conform to the socialism
market economic system, NSFC supports basic research and some of
applied research, identifies and fosters talented researchers in
the realm of science and technology, accelerates the progress of
science and technology, and promotes the socioeconomic development
in China by giving full play the guidance and coordinating role
of the National Natural Science Fund from the central government.
2. NSFC is in charge of the management of the National Natural Science
Fund. It compiles and promulgates the annual Guide to Programs
for basic research and some of applied research, handles applications
of research projects, and organizes peer review and select the best
projects to support. It endeavors to create an academic environment
conducive to innovation.
3. NSFC cooperates with the Ministry of Science and Technology to
formulate the principles, policies and plans for the development
of basic research in China. When entrusted, it provides consultation
and undertakes related assignments on major issues for the development
of high technology and applied research in China.
4. NSFC gives help and support to other Chinese foundations in natural
5. NSFC establishes contacts with governmental departments in charge
of science and technology, science foundations and related academic
organizations in other countries and carries out international cooperation
6. NSFC is responsible for the administration, supervision and guidance
of the subordinated bodies.
7. NSFC undertakes other tasks entrusted by the State Council and
the State Leading Group for Science and Technology and Education.